In Piazza Garibaldi we find the imposing Palazzo Vitelli a Sant’Egidio – built by Paolo Vitelli (1519 – 1574),the architect is unknown, although some think he was Ammannati. – with its park. The most interesting aspect of the building is the façade toward the park – to day a site of concerts and happenings – with its sixteenth century arches delimiting it at the end, where we find the “Palazzina” with its sixteenth century frescoes, a gorgeous Renaissance building. Beside, there is Palazzo Albizzini – for that family Raphael painted “The wedding of the Virgin” in 1504, once in San Francis Church, now in Brera Museum in Milan – built in the second half of fifteenth century, which now houses Burri Museum and, across the square, Monte dei Paschi’s building. The square links the old town with the new. In the past Porta Sant’Egidio could be found here, at the eastern end of town. The Vitelli family governed the town from thirteenth to sixteenth centuries.
The square is named after Giuseppe Garibaldi – his statue, placed at the center in the past, now is located in the nearby gardens.