Coming from north, along the E 45 highway, suddenly the wide Upper Tiber Valley opens up, where the historic and famous river that reaches Rome, flows.
Here Tuscany, Umbria and Marche meet.
The Tiber River connects Sansepolcro, to the north, to Umbertide, in the southernmost part of the Valley.
Città di Castello is the most important town in the Upper Tiber Valley, where there are seven other smaller towns, or villages : Citerna, San Giustino, Lisciano Niccone, Monte Santa Maria Tiberina, Montone, Pietralunga and Umbertide.
Città di Castello is the ideal center for planning trips and getting to know Umbria Region. The beautiful Gubbio, the majestic Perugia, the mystical Assisi, of Saint Francis, Spello – the Julia colony, of Julius Caesar’s family – the beautiful Foligno and Spoleto – the latter capital of the Lombard’s kingdom in Central Italy, 6th – 8th centuries – Trevi, Bevagna, Orvieto, Terni, Norcia and Cascia.
Moreover, it is possible, from Città di Castello, to visit the nearby Tuscany: Sansepolcro, Anghiari, Cortona, Arezzo, cities known throughout the world for their historical and artistic beauties
or go to the Marche and visit the city where Raphael was born, the magical Urbino, one of the most beautiful cities in Italy.
Visiting the Upper Tiber Valley is like discovering a hidden treasure, for its history, architecture and the treasures of its museums. Around every corner there is something exciting…
National Railways – Ferrovie dello Stato : get off at Arezzo Station. Continue by bus – the terminal is just in front of the station – to San Sepolcro, with line SI381 BUSITALIA – except on Sunday , then to Città di Castello –
FLIXBUS, ticket online: Perugia – Roma – Perugia
ADRIABUS to and from Pesaro, Fano (Adriatic Sea )
Autolinee SULGA – Ravenna – Forlì – Cesena – Sansepolcro – Città di Castello – Perugia – Rome, Fiumicino International Airport on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays departure from Ravenna at 4:45 am. Return from Fiumicino Int. Airport at 2:30 pm and from Rome, Tiburtina Railway Station at 4 pm
- From Rome
A1 Highway toward North, Orte exit, then north direction again, on E45 Highway, to Perugia and Cesena.
Città di Castello Sud or Città di Castello exits.
- From Bologna-Florence
A1 Highway : Arezzo exit, then continue along SR 73 and SR 221, toward east.
- From Forlì-Cesena
E45, toward south, Città di Castello or Città di Castello Sud exits.
- From Rimini-San Marino
S.R. 258 ‘Marecchia’, toward south, south west.
- From Pesaro-Urbino
S.R. 423 and S.R. 73 bis, toward west
- From Fano
S.R. Flaminia and S.R. 257, toward west
- Ferrovie dello Stato – National Railways trenitalia.it (Call Center Trenitalia 89 20 21)
- ROME AIRPORTS Aeroporti di Roma (tel. +39 06 65951)
- Galileo Galilei – Pisa Airport(tel. +39 050 849111; fax +39 050 849216)
- San Francesco di Assisi – Perugia Airport International Airport San Francesco d’Assisi (tel. +39 075 592 141; fax +39 075 692 9562)
- Autolinee Sulga (tel. +39 075 5009641; fax: +39 075 5053733)
- Autolinee Adriabus(tel. +39 0721 32401-370085; fax +39 0721 33235)
- Regional Railway of Umbria run by BUSITALIA (tel. +39 075 50 67 81; fax +39 075 500 45 30; Toll-free number 800 512 141)
- SocietàAutostrade (Call Center Viabilità 840 042121)