Since the twelfth century, there have been buildings just outside the town walls. The whole area became part of the fortified town at the beginning of the 1300’s. The name “San Giacomo” comes from the church which is now called Santa Chiara and is part of a convent. The main street is Via XI Settembre and lots of narrow streets and alleys give the zone a historic atmosphere. There are quite a number of churches and convents, revealing the religiosity of inhabitants of the past. In the Middle Ages many followed the steps of Saint Francis and dedicated their lives to pray and contemplation. Saint Claire of Assisi inspired them too and many convents and nunneries were founded in Upper Tiber Valley. Just a few are still functioning. The two most important female figures here on the religious scene were Beata Margherita and Santa Veronica Giuliani. Walking along Via XI Settembre we can still sense the mysticism of those times and we can visit their churches. Entering Saint Claire’s convent we see the “wheel” which was a valuable instrument of charity in the past.