In 1912 Elia Volpi, a famous painter and antiquarian, donated Palazzo Vitelli alla Cannoniera to town and the Pinacoteca Comunale was housed in its elegant rooms. The building dates back from various periods but was finished in the first half of the 16 ͭʰ century and holds the name from the foundry and cannon store that were nearby. It was built to celebrate the wedding of Alessandro Vitelli with Paola Rossi from San Secondo Parmense and is a splendid example of a renaissance villa. Important feature are the graffiti decorations on the garden façade, carried out by Cristofano Gherardi, called il Doceno, using Vasari’s designs. There are masks and cupids, plants cornucopias and birds alongside the shields and symbols of the noble family of Vitelli. There are splendid frescoes on the main staircase that leads to the first floor. Among the symbolic decorations we find Sybil and the Prophets, Apollo and the Muses, scholars and Emperors of past. These were all painted by Cola dell’Amatrice and Gherardi. This is the second most important collection of paintings in Umbria. The subject of many works is of religious kind because mostly come from churches and convents of the area. They show how well Città di Castello was placed, as a crossroad for cultural exchanges. The oldest painting in the museum is the large panel by Maestro di Città di Castello, a Duccio di Boninsegna follower. It is called “Madonna in trono col Bambino e sei angeli”. There are also works by Spinello Aretino, Giorgio di Andrea di Bartolo, Antonio Alberti di Ferrara, Neri di Bicci and Antonio Vivarini. The only work made by a goldsmith is the Reliquary of Saint’Andrea arm which dates back to 1420 and is attributed to Lorenzo Ghiberti, a Florentine sculptor.