This antique shrine is about five kilometres from Città di Castello along the SR Apecchiese, a road that crosses the Appenines and takes us to the Adriatic Sea. The church was constructed on the hill of Caprano that is now called Belvedere between the years of 1669 and 1684. Antonio Gabrielli and Nicola Barbioni were the architects. It has an octagonal form, four short wings and a dome. There is semicircular porch in front of the entrance. As we go inside we can admire the fine compass that was placed there by craftsmen in 1883. One of the most important works in the shrine is theMartyrdom of San Vincenzo by Giovanni Ventura Borghesi (1699). It is in the chapel dedicated to this saint. The high altar is at the far end of the church and it contains an image of the Virgin Mary.
The veneration has increased over the years making Belvedere one of the best-known “centri-mariani” in central Italy. Its fame spread and in 1705 authorization came through from the Vatican to officially crown the statue. When we look out from the terrace we can see the town, the valley, the mountains of La Verna and Monte Acuto near Umbertide.