In 1773 mons. Luigi Gazzoli (1735 – 1809) joined the existing hospitals of Santa Maria della Misericordia and San Florido and created the “Ospedali Riuniti” on service until 2000. Francesco Maria Ciaraffoni designed the new structure and added the bell tower and the lateral arcade. In the centre of the façade there are three coats of arms. One represents Saints Florido and Amanzio, patrons of town, the second is the symbol of Città di Castello and the third represents mons. Gazzoli. The inscription below describes the completion of the work, in 1785.