The Cathedral is dedicated to Saint Florido and Saint Amanzio. In over a thousand years it has been consecrated three times. It is said that the first cathedral was built on the ruins of a pagan temple by the young Pliny, the patron of Tifernum Tiberinum, that is, Città di Castello. It was Bishop Florido (ca. 520 – 600) who encouraged the citizens to rebuild the town and the cathedral after the Goths had destroyed everything. The cathedral took the name of San Lorenzo. In 1032 Bishop Pietro consecrated a second cathedral and dedicated it to Saint Florido and Saint Amanzio the patron saints of the town and diocese. That is when the round bell tower was added. In 1356 the tombs and reliquaries of the patron saints were discovered and the population enthusiastically threw itself into reconstruction.
One of this things that was added at that time was the side door. It is decorated with sculptures that represent law and mercy in the form of two figures standing at the base of two vertical spaces. There are also spiral columns. In 1540 the third dedication took the place and the renovation had a Florentine influence. Work began on the garden façade in 1632 but was not completed because Bishop Roccagna died. The existing stairs date from 1877 while the lateral staircase was finished in 1780. The dome was rebuilt in 1789 after the devastating earthquake and was painted by Tommaso Conca between 1795 and 1797. The interior has the form of a latin cross with a simple nave and intercommunicating side chapels. These are decorated with magnificent altars and paintings. One of the most important is Niccolò Cirignani’s Conversion of Saint Paul (at the end of sixteenth century.) which is in the first chapel on the left. There are carved and inlaid wooden choir stalls behind the high altar. They date from 1533 – 1540. The designs on the bishop’s throne resemble Raphael’s work. The frescoes in the presbytery are by Marco Benefial and were painted in 1747 – 1749. They represent Saint Florido and Saint Crescenziano. The decorations on the vaults are also by Benefial. The lacunar ceiling was locally made in the 17 ͭʰ century. In 1888 the Cathedral became known as the Basilica Minore. The lower church contains the reliquaries of Saint Florido and Saint Amanzio under the marble altar in a stone sarcophagus.